Thursday, February 12, 2009

Rhubarb pie

Don't forget the sugar...

Somehow, I forgot the sugar. A few weeks ago, I decided I needed to bake pie. We have apples and rhubarb in the freezer since late summer, early fall. With the addition of some wonderful whole chickens, room has become a premium. So, I decided to bake some pies. There were two apple, one rhubarb and one tiny little rhubarb sampler made of the extra dough.

Last night, we tried that large rhubarb pie. I got the last of the ice cream, JC took his straight. Boy, it was so tart it made my teeth hurt. I must have forgotten the sugar.

That's one good reason to bake alone, because any interruptions and you could forgot the sugar. It may not have been such a big deal on the apple, but you never want to forget the sugar in a rhubarb pie.

But, hey, the crust was good.

Here's my favorite recipe for pie crust in quantity....


Pastry for 8 pie crusts

By Lydia Zenker

from the Emmanuel Lutheran Kitchens cookbook

Gackle, ND, circa 1975



5 cups flour

4 tsp. brown sugar

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 pound lard (Yup, I use it.)

1 egg (beaten, add enough water to make 3/4 cup liquid. I usually end up using more.)

1 tsp. vinegar

Sift flour, baking powder and salt; add the brown sugar and cut the lard into flour mixture, mixing well. Add the beaten egg, water and vinegar. Roll our for pie crusts.

Keep in mind, this makes about 4 9-inch double crusted pies, or a bit less depending on how thin you roll your crust.

When you bake the pie, preheat the oven, chill the pie while this is happening. Bake for about 10 minutes at 410 degrees and then lower the heat to 350 degrees. This seals the crust and it gets nice and crusty brown.

My mother used to finish baking her apple pie and just turn off the oven. She left them in there until they cooled. The apples were always soft and the crust always flaky.... enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment