Sunday, February 22, 2009

Bean soup

Of course, my mother's recipe is the best, however, my former neighbor Connie gave me some bean soup and another recipe.
For last night's supper, I cooked about one cup of assorte dry beans. Not overnight like you are supposed to, but I rinse them, cover with lots of water and set them to boil. After they begin rapidly boiling, I cut back the heat and simmer them for about four hours...
Then, I rinse them again. This time I put them in the bean pot with some homemade chicken stock. Yep, you always use chicken stock for beef and pork dishes. Somehow it enhances the flavor. Sometime in the near future, I will address the issue of soup stock. But, in the meantime, I didn't have enough in the freezer so I supplemented with some canned stock. I buy that on sale by the case loads.
The homemade stock was very flavorful, so I added about a quart of water and simmered the beans for at least another hour. After that time, I tasted them. When they are soft enough for you taste add 1/2 medium yellow onion, a can of diced tomatoes, about 3 tablespoons lemon juice and some chile seasong. I used a mixed up tablespoon of some creole spice. Also, after cooking that for about 30 minutes I added some fried bacon. Simmered it for another 30 minues and whala.... soup. Wonderful soup.
Now, two things. Use fresh dried beans. If they have been in your cupboard for two or three years, throw them out or use them to stuff some bean bags for juggling.
Also, if you add the acids, tomatoes and lemon juice, to the beans before they are properly cooked, they will never soften and you will be eating hard beans.
My mother's recipe has potatoes and a roux made of shortening and flour, browned deeply so it give the soup a wonderful color.
Until next time, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment