Wednesday, April 20, 2011

It's still winter out side my window

If the sun doesn't shine pretty soon, I will have to take my tomato plants to a tanning bed. The poor things have been under artificial light for weeks now and struggling to fill out. I did a beginning gardening session with a group of 4-H students on Monday. I told them someone is going to have start turning me towards the light every day because I'm not getting enough sun. In fact, I forgot what the sun looks like. We did see the full moon on Saturday night though. It was really beautiful and had been waxing under the cloudy skies hidden from our view.
Little green shoots from iris and lilies have been trying to grow to no avail. Yes, there's plenty of water out there, but without the sunshine and some warmth, they have no desire to stick their necks out. Hopefully the setback isn't going to be permanent.
There's been a horrid spring cold making its way through the ranks of college students, work and my home. It's taken the "spring fever" right out of me. Our only saving grace is we aren't dealing with flooding on top of the slowed down feeling of tromping through daily snow storms and driving in the some of the worst conditions I have ever experienced.
I'm going to blame a late Easter on all of these conditions. We laugh at the folks who religiously plant their gardens, or at least their potatoes, on Good Friday. Well, guess what? Even though Good Friday is coming up... with the forecast there will be no gardening. My garlic hasn't even show signs of life yet. The good news is the birds have stayed. A pair of mourning doves greet the dawn, but I'm not sure how they know where the sun is. And, what a difference the songs of birds make - as if they know that winter won't last much longer, they continue to sing. It makes all the difference in the world. So when spring finally gets here, it will be like a huge weight has lifted from everyone. I'm guessing there'll be dancing in the streets...

No comments:

Post a Comment