Friday, June 6, 2014

My bend-over is broken



Finally winter let go of its harsh grasp on our state and there's a mad rush to get everything planted as soon as possible when the weather finally allows work in the dirt.

After five days of working outdoors, its time to start pulling weeds already, but my bend-over is broken. That's right. the muscles between the waist and the shoulder bringing your body up and down as you plant and dig. Pretty soon, you are crawling along in the dirt only coming up for air at the end of the row. Its the foibles of growing old and being more than slightly out of weight from working indoors most of the time. Boo Hoo. My heart belongs to the fresh air and sunshine.

So every planting season, I find that while the work wears me out, I never feel better than when I have accomplished planting the garden. This year, we brought in a load of horse manure and I shoveled nearly a full pickup load to all the beds before my arms gave out.

Once that planting is done, the weeding begins and then the mulching and then the waiting for the harvest. Watching those tomatoes begin to fill out and climb upwards makes my mouth water... In my mind I see those vines to the ceiling of the hoop house loaded with fruit. what a sight that will be pulling into the driveway.

Of course, the weather seems to have cooled off, good for all those radishes and cabbage hiding under the low tunnels.

Everyone used to garden. It was how they grew their own food for summer and winter meals. While some (my spouse) may think that I am a little more than ambitious there is nothing and I mean nothing that is more gratifying to me than growing something. From all the plants I babysat for months to the final cleaning out the dead vines - it's all good. And I will keep you posted on the progress... right now I'm fighting some tiny grasshoppers, the deer, a racoon and those darn weeds. But we will overcome. 

In the tradition of my mother and grandmother before me, I sow, so I can reap. But remember - You can seed and week and hoe, but only God can make it grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment