Thursday, August 4, 2011

We left it for dead

The bulb had bloomed in February and was magnificent. Three or more large amaryllis blooms in the dead of winter. It was a reminder of our will to survive. When we hurriedly moved out of our house in May under the impending flood that destroyed our property we had to make a few decisions to throw or leave some of our junk behind. Dealing with our pet -  well, we were fortunate in as much as someone was able to take him home. The plants, well, they had to be divided between a few people and my new temporary office.
The bulb however, after blooming, became unruly and the pot kept tipping over from the weight of the long leaves. So I decided to leave it behind.
I put it in the raised bed on the west side of the house. I did not expect it to survive. If the water had risen as high as first expected, it may have floated away. But it didn't. It turned even more yellow and disappeared, melting into the soil like everything that has passed the four seasons of its life.
What vegetation survived the rise and fall of the water struggling to survive was eaten immediately by the wildlife in the area, save this bulb.
Imagine my surprise when I rounded the corner of the house on one of our visits and there it was. The old was gone and new growth was vigorous and green, untouched by the deer and racoons.
I rescued it and brought it home with me where it now resides on the patio table outside our new living space. With the rain and the warmth is has doubled in size already.
So you know, the bulb was a gift from Pastor Bob and Karen Nordvall. I hated to leave it behind. I hated to see it die... but in its death it has returned - on its own to a new green and healthy living thing. I am wondering is there's a lesson here and if it's the one I have to learn, or one of many I have to learn during this ordeal. I only know this for sure. There is a great deal of rejoicing in this seemingly simple act of rebirth. The blessing of the new is hope.
I do not have my well-worn Bible. We moved so fast we were unable to decide what we would need and of course we had no idea how long we would be out of our house. So here's the thought for the day. I do hope you have a blessed one.
Hebrews 11:1
[ Faith in Action ] Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.

No comments:

Post a Comment