Friday, June 24, 2011

My flood project

It's very difficult to blog when I don't have a garden or a kitchen; I don't know where my ice cream maker is or my new pressure canner which I will not be able to use this year at all.
So I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a crochet hook, because I don't know where those are either, and a large spool of Aunt Lydia's number ten thread. I wish I had bought a little bit higher quality thread because I started making Duncan Phyff motifs and all of a sudden I had a purpose. I'm doing one motif for every day I am out of my house. SO far, that's 24 motifs, plus one cause I work ahead some evenings. Here is a photo of the pieces so far. It's a lovely pattern and we have a large table... so I just might have an heirloom piece when I'm done. Or, I will auction it off because we are trying to save money for moving back into the house. WE are going to need some trees and some paint and some electrical and some furnace work and who knows what else, flooring and carpeting perhaps.
Which reminds me... we also have a large amount of artwork, beautiful photographs that we couldn't bear to store in a truck for fear they would be spoiled. If anyone needs artwork, they are all for sale and can be see by appointment until we figure out how to have our own art show.
Just call me at 527-5169. And then, since I won't be snitching on my kitchen I have yet one more project that I would ask you to support. We are creating a cookbook for the Ashely 125th celebration. It will be a coffee table book with recipes and the food culture of the Germans from Russia. I am working with a group of heritage tourism folks from Logan, McIntosh and Emmons counties and have developed new website and blog for that project. SO, I ask that you direct your attention to www.dasguteessen.wordpress.com to keep tabs on my work and the stories of others.
Don't be a stranger and Gute Essen... even if I haven't cooked for nearly a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment